Thursday, January 13, 2011

What's Not in Ephesians 6:4

“And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.” (Ephesians 6:4; KJV)

The state is not in Ephesians 6:4. It is not the responsibility of the state or the society in which I live to teach my children about GOD.

The local church is not in Ephesians 6:4. While the local church has the responsibility to preach and teach the word of GOD, I am not to abdicate my responsibility to my children to the local church to whom I have joined myself.

Mom is not in Ephesians 6:4. While my wife, the mother of my children has responsibilities to teach my children about GOD, Ephesians 6:4 does not speak of her role in their lives.

Ephesians 6:4 speaks of the responsibility of Fathers!

Bring up. I am to bring up (ektrepho – to rear up to maturity, i.e. to cherish or train” my children (Strong's)

Nurture. I am to nurture (paideia – tutorage, i.e. education or training; by implication, disciplinary correction: KJV - chastening, chastisement, instruction, nurture) my children (Strong's).

Admonition. I am to admonish (nouthesia – calling attention to, i.e. (by implication) mild rebuke or warning: KJV – admonition) my children (Strong’s).

Lord. I am to teach submission to the Lord (kurios – from kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority) to my children (Strong's).

Be a Joshua! Submit to GOD’S authority. Obey His will for you in Ephesians 6:4. Lead your children to the Lord Jesus. “And if it seems evil to you to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD” (Joshua 24:15; NKJV)

Jason