Wednesday, January 12, 2011

They Shall Be Comforted

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted” (Matthew 5:4; NKJV).

The kingdom citizen will be one who mourns over one's own spiritual poverty, one' sinfulness. We “mourn” when we come to the realization that we have lost fellowship with God as a result of our sins. David demonstrated this spiritual attitude after his adultery with Bathsheba: “For I acknowledge my transgressions, And my sin is always before me. Against You, You only, have I sinned, And done this evil in Your sight – That You may be found just when You speak, And blameless when You judge” (Psalm 51:3-4; NKJV). He longed for God to restore the fellowship he once enjoyed: “Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me” (Psalm 51:10-12; NKJV).

There is a noticeable relationship between these first two characteristics described by Jesus in “the beatitudes.” Unless one is first "poor in spirit,” one will not "mourn" over their spiritual poverty. We must come to see ourselves as we really are: sinners in need of forgiveness that only comes through Jesus Christ. It is when we come to this realization that we can truly be “comforted.”

Jason