Thursday, February 17, 2011

Are You On Fire For God?

“O Lord, You induced me, and I was persuaded; You are stronger than I, and have prevailed. I am in derision daily; Everyone mocks me. For when I spoke, I cried out; I shouted, "Violence and plunder!" Because the word of the Lord was made to me A reproach and a derision daily. Then I said, "I will not make mention of Him, Nor speak anymore in His name." But His word was in my heart like a burning fire Shut up in my bones; I was weary of holding it back, And I could not” (Jeremiah 20:7-9; NKJV).

Zeal is a familiar concept. We are excited about many things in our lives. Our GOD is zealous (Isaiah 9:7). He longs for His children to be like Him (Titus 2:14). He longs for us to be zealous according to knowledge (Romans 10:1-3). The American Heritage College Dictionary defines zeal as an “enthusiastic devotion to a cause, an ideal, or a goal and tireless diligence in its furtherance.” Whether it be our kids, entertainment, or athletics, believe me, we know what it means to go all out.

Being on fire for GOD is all about focus. To focus is to consider attentively, to turn one’s eyes away from other things and to fix them on something or someone. GOD will light the fire in our hearts if we will but focus…

On Jesus. We must be about the business of “fixing our eyes on Jesus” (Hebrews 12:2; NASBU). Focusing on Jesus will fire you up for GOD, the things of GOD, the kingdom of GOD.

On the Word of GOD. The word of GOD “effectively works in you who believe” (1 Thessalonians 2:13; NKJV). Focusing on the word of GOD with a good and honest heart will light the fire. The word of GOD is powerful (Hebrews 4:12). Allow GOD’s word to light your fire – focus on it!

On Zealous Brothers and Sisters. The zeal of a small group of Corinthians “stirred up the majority” of brethren in Macedonia (2 Corinthians 9:2). If your zeal for the Lord is waning, spend time with some zealous brothers and sisters in Christ. Stand next to their fire. Allow them to fire you up!

On Repentance. It is impossible to be on fire for GOD when sin separates you from Him. Repentance produces zeal (2 Corinthians 7:11). Perhaps the only thing that stands between you and being on fire for Him is your pride. Humble yourself before Him, repent, and allow Him to light your fire – “Therefore be zealous and repent” (Revelation 3:19; NKJV).

Zeal for GOD and the things of GOD ate Jesus up (Psalm 69:9; John 2:17). Let us follow His lead. Focus on Him, His word, His zealous brothers and sisters. Repent of those things that separate you from Him. Let us be on fire for GOD!

Jason