Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Gospel of Mark

Mark presents Jesus as an active, compassionate, and obedient Servant who constantly ministers to the physical and spiritual needs of others. The distinctive word of this book is euthus (translated “immediately”), and it appears more often in this compact gospel than in the rest of the New Testament. Jesus is constantly moving toward a goal that is hidden to almost all. Mark clearly shows the power and authority of this unique Servant, identifying Him as no less than the Son of God (1:1, 11; 3:11; 5:7; 9:7; 13:32; 14:61; 15:39). Chapter by chapter, the book of Mark unfolds the dual focus of Christ’s life: service and sacrifice. The purpose of Mark is to present the Christ as the servant of the LORD.


Jesus calls me to be His servant and the servant of others. Jesus calls me to discipleship: “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me” (8:34). I am to “be last of all and servant of all” as His disciple ( 9:35). To be great in this Man’s kingdom is to be a “servant” and a “slave of all” (10:43-44). I am to follow His example: “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many” (10:45).


Jesus calls me to sacrifice my life for Him and for others. To save my life I am to lose it in Him and for Him (8:34-37). Like the Rich Young Ruler, I am to sacrifice whatever it takes to follow Jesus (10:21). The sacrifice I make for Him and others will be rewarded now and in eternity: “…who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time – houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions – and in the age to come, eternal life” (10:29-30).


Jesus calls me to victory through suffering. A cross is an instrument of death: “…let him deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Me” (8:34-38). His victory came after persecutions, suffering and death (10:30, 33-34). Mine will too.


See Mark’s portrait of Jesus and give your life to the service of the Lord, sacrificing your time, energy, your very life for others!


Jason Cicero